New horizon, vibrant state, colourful people with their rapidly changing lifestyle, modernisation in one word metamorphosis – this is our new West Bengal. On one hand it has fascinating culture, rich history and heritage and on the other hand it has modern, techno-savvy, upwardly mobile people. The land of West Bengal has in it intricately woven stories of many civilisations and settlements which left their footprint here. With the memory of that rich history West Bengal boasts of different ethnicity, culture, religion and languages and most importantly the diverse landscape -flanked by the Himalayas as the top and decorated by the natural beaches and a unique biosphere, the Sunderbans in the south. Let us unfold the true Bengal – its history, its real nature, its culture - the canvas with all colours.
Capital city: Kolkata
Chief Minister: Mamta Banerjee
Governor: Keshari Nath Tripathi
High Court : Kolkata High Court
The Acting Chief Justice: Dr. Manjula Chellur
Number of Districts: 20
Important Dams, Rivers and Lakes:Dams:
Important Power generation plants:
1. Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport
2. Bagdogra Airport — Siliguri
3. Nazrul Islam Airport — Durgapur
4. Malda Airport —MaldaFolk Dances:
Mal Pahariya Tribe
Important Regional Festivals:
Important Temples/Archeological Monuments/Sites:
Nick Names/Special Titles of Cities:
Sea Ports in West BengalPort Name Haldia Port Also Known As Port of Kolkata
Opened In- 1870
Constructed by- The British East India Company
Operated by- Kolkata Port Trust
Owned by- Kolkata Port Trust, Ministry of Shipping, Government of India
Location- Kolkata (West Bengal)
Interesting, Famous and Amazing Facts About West Bengal
1. West Bengal is surrounded by a few countries, including the Bangladesh, Nepal, and Bhutan.
2. West Bengal is the fourth largest state in India by population
3. West Bengal literacy rate is 77.08%, which is one of the highest literacy rates in India
4. The population density of the state of West Bengal is 1000 per sq. km.
5. During the British Era, Kolkata was the capital of India before the construction of Delhi capital.
6. West Bengal state is the sixth-largest contributor to India’s net domestic product
7. Ram Mohan Roy is considered and regarded as the “Father of the Bengali renaissance”.
8. West Bengal has given many great leaders and great persons, includes Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, Rabindranath Tagore, Khudiram Bose, Matangini Hazra, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, and many more.
9. Kolkata Metro is the oldest metro in India, which was started on October 24, 1984
10. West Bengal has a good number of popular tourist attractions, some of them are, Victoria Memorial, Eden Gardens, Indian Museum, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, Tiger Hill, Howrah Bridge, Peace Pagoda (Darjeeling), Kalighat Kali Temple, and many more.
Keep Visiting Discover Tips for More Such States!!
I hope you like this, so kindly comment below the post and do share your response. Thanks for reading :)